Monday, December 10, 2007

glasgow

I arrived in Glasgow 4 hours late due to a flight delay arriving to grey skies. I asked for directions from the rental car
station to Glasgow and it must be a test for tourists driving in the UK they said turn left and go through the next three
roundabouts if you make it you'll be on the M8 heading into Glasgow.
I made it through the roundabouts without anyone cursing at me (that I could see). There was plenty of traffic and one way streets but
I found my hotel a narrow boutique one on a street that had just been
converted into a pedestrian walk except for one single lane.

Flag of Scotland 4505 Flag of Scotland



The late flight had left me little time to explore Glasgow. I opted out of going into a museum and instead wandered through
town. I walked from the east side up to Queen Street Station and through the shopping areas and some of the back streets.

 Glasgow Georges S 3928 Glasgow Georges S



One of a rotating group of pipers on the main streets.

 Glasgow piper 3932 Glasgow piper




Can you imagine Scottish Idol with competing bagpipe players? Check out the other contestant from Edinburgh


More pipes fer you from Glasgow players if yer wantin more.
Glasgow Piper

But it's not all bagpipes there buskers also play guitars and this talented sax player
Glasgow Sax

Sauchielhall Street is the main shopping street and was crowded on Saturday afternoon.

 Sauchielhall St Shopping in Glasgow 3933 Sauchielhall St Shopping in Glasgow



It was not so crowded behind the scene on the side streets.

 Glasgow back street 3934 Glasgow back street



Row houses were common these are being remodeled near the University

 Glasgow row houses 3947 Glasgow row houses



I came upon a croquet field near Glasgow university and the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. I've seen croquet players in
Guilan China but wasn't expecting them this far north - I was expecting to see scots throwing a caber (partial tree trunk) or
playing golf (plenty of courses). Imagine my surprise to find out croquet was invented by their ancestors in Ireland.

 Glasgow crouet court 3957 Glasgow crouet court



Anyone for Croquette.mpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAiyjdCkFVo

The Kelvingrove is an interesting building.

 Glasgow art gallery 3958 Glasgow art gallery


Across the street is the transport museum with a similar architecture style

 Glasgow Musteum of Transport Steeples 3962 Glasgow Musteum of Transport Steeples


Lots of churches throughout the city.

 Glasgow church  3969 Glasgow church


The River Clyde runs through the center of Glasgow. I crossed over the bridge past the large Mosque to the Citizens Theater
to see Hamlet - nice sets, good Hamlet (Andrew Clark), great Ophelia (Samantha Young).

 Glasgow Night over the River Clyde 3970 Glasgow Night over the River Clyde



I didn't have much luck finding local music. The only live music I found was a local band playing Pink Floyd's Money. I kept
my money and kept walking. But lots of nightlife with people dressed up.
In fact the nightlife spilled out from a restaurant below the hotel and into the pedestrian mall forcing me to keep the
windows closed. - No A/C so it was either noise or stuffy air.

My room had a super tiny bathroom which was surprising as Scots are the second most obese people - next to Americans.

 Glasgow Cathedral 3985 Glasgow Cathedral



Sunday morning was cold but with clear blue skies so I walked to the cathedral.

 Glasgow Cathedral 3986 Glasgow Cathedral



 Glasgow Cathedral doors 3988 Glasgow Cathedral doors



 Glasgow Cathedral  Stone 3994 Glasgow Cathedral Stone



 Glasgow Cathedral  4004 Glasgow Cathedral



Only place I've ever found a cathedral hotel (right across from the catherdral and down the hill from the graveyard) in a
building of the same time and style as the Cathedrals surrounding offices. Even better was that it had the Cathedral Bar
and a Chatedral Beer Garden. It was cold and a Sunday so the beer garden was empty.

 Glasgow Cathedral Bar and Beer Garden 4010 Road to Ft Williams







Next stop Loch Lomond and Fort Williams

Or return to UK